top of page


How does therapy work?

Clients typically come into therapy for a 50-minute session once a week. When intensified therapy is necessary, or in the event of a crisis, bi-weekly visits are recommended.

I try to keep my client load relatively small so I can provide very individualized and thoughtful care. In return, I expect my clients to attend therapy on a regular basis so as to maximize the benefits of the work completed through therapy. Together, we will find a time that works for you to come on a weekly basis. From that point, your 50-minute slot is reserved for you.

Usually, after the first or second appointment, clients can sense if a therapist is a good fit. Also during this time, a therapist has a chance to evaluate the individual’s situation and make sure to meet that client’s unique needs.

Payment by cash, check, or credit card is required at each session. By request, invoices are provided on a monthly basis so that you may self-bill your insurance for reimbursement.

What is an MFT? How do they differ from other mental health professionals?

There are many well-trained and talented mental health professionals practicing under a variety of licenses.

  • Marriage and Family Therapists – MFTs hold a Master’s Degree in psychology and may also hold doctoral level degrees. “MFT’s are the only mental health professionals that who by law have to complete mandatory coursework in counseling psychotherapy….MFT’s are considered relationship experts.” CAMFT

  • Psychiatrists—(MD) Medical doctors who are primarily trained to prescribe medicine and may also practice psychotherapy.

  • Psychologists-- (PhD) Hold doctoral level degree and their primary focus is on psychological testing and psychotherapy.

  • Social Workers-- (LCSW) Hold Master’s Degrees and may also hold doctoral level degrees with a primary emphasis on social services, including psychotherapy.

(Defined by, CAMFT, 2008)

What insurance do you take?

I am a fee-for-service practice. I do not directly bill insurance or sit on any insurance panels. I am an out-of-network provider. Upon request, I can provide you with a claim form for your insurance company so that you can be reimbursed directly, in agreement with the terms of your plan.

Some clients use their Health Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA) or Health Saving Account (HAS) to pay for therapy. As always, please consult with a financial or tax advisor for what is best for your situation.

How do I know who is the right therapist for me?

It can be hard to figure out if someone is going to be a good therapist for you or not. It can be helpful to have one face-to-face session with a therapist. This initial meeting will help you accurately assess if the therapist is a good match for you.

bottom of page